Some level of surface treatment is usually necessary before adhesive bonding.
Although a simple solvent wipe may be sufficient for some applications, the following basic surface treatment is generally found suitable for most materials. A silane coupling agent may be used to improve surface wetting and increase the bonded joint's long-term durability.
Basic Surface Treatment
1. Solvent wipe to remove oil or grease contamination.
2. Abrade or shot blast using medium grit (120 - 200 grit size) preferably alumina.
3. Remove coarse debris, if present.
4. Solvent wipe to Remove fine debris.
5. Ensure surface is completely dry.
6. Bond or prime immediately.